Luigi Sturzo and the popularism – Celebration 2018 – 2020
In view of the double anniversary of the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the Italian Popular Party (defined by Federico Chabod as “the most remarkable event in Italian history of the twentieth century”) and the 60th anniversary of the death of Luigi Sturzo, the Institute launched the program of celebrations to be held during the two-year period 2018-2020 and aimed at enhancing the figure and work of the Sicilian priest and the People’s Party he founded.
The project includes a structured program of activities that includes:
- archiving of the Luigi Sturzo archive, with particular attention to the part not yet reordered and concerning the years of the return from exile to death;
- training, through the organization of cycles of seminars and workshops;
- dissemination, through the organization of conferences in Italy and abroad, in the countries where Sturzo stayed during his long exile;
- realization of documentary exposures;
- roduction of documents through publications.
The aim of this important series of initiatives is not only to promote memory and enhance the history of Luigi Sturzo and of the Italian Popular Party, but to build paths of political and historical reflection capable of actualizing popularism as a political culture and the thought of Luigi Sturzo as the founder of the modern party form essential for the construction of the country’s democracy, especially from an Italian and European perspective.
- July 5th, 2018, Press conference for the launch of the Celebrations program 2018 – 2020
- July 5th, 2018 Round Table, Attualità del popolarismo?
- November 16th, 2018 Conference Il municipalismo di Luigi Sturzo – Caltanissetta
- January, 17th 2019 Conference Ai Liberi e Forti e un secolo dopo
- The digitalization of the “London writings” by Luigi Sturzo
- The inventory of “Corrispondenza” series by Luigi Sturzo
- June, 11 2019 Seminar The exile of democracy. Luigi Sturzo, Francesco Luigi Ferrari and the anti-fascists in France – Paris, Italian Cultural Institute
- June, 14th – 16th 2019 International Conference L’attualità di un impegno nuovo – Caltagirone (CT)
The Institute will also promote the program of celebrations through documents, images, videos and multimedia products using the materials preserved in the historical archive and in the library:
- Appeal “A tutti gli uomini liberi e forti”
- Luigi Sturzo. Images and documents from the archive
- The Popular Party of Luigi Sturzo – Propaganda and Press Service of the Dc, 1963
- Quando De Rosa parlava di Sturzo (1979 al 2007)
- Luigi Sturzo. Lesson by N. Antonetti January, 28th 2016
- Report by Luigi Sturzo to the Conference of Catholic Councilors, November 1902 – Caltanissetta
Per info: firstname.lastname@example.org